magicJack is an extremely cheap VoIP provider that works by using your existing Internet connection to make and receive calls. magicJack provides a plug-and-play device (like a USB drive) that you can connect to your computer or high-speed modem to start making local and long-distance calls. You can use magicJack for as little as $19.95/year per line.
With the newest magicJack Plus system, you don't have to have your computer on at all times in order to receive a call.
Is magicJack worth it?
We recommend that anyone interested in buying a magicJack read the user reviews here first.
Magic Jack is not worth it. Here;s why:Even though this is a PHONE company, you cannot call them to discuss anything. It is all by online "chat" which is terribly time consuming, unless you type faster than you talk.There is no option to cancel your service on the website. I use T-Mobile which lets me call for 0.20 (twenty cents) a minute when overseas.At home I have reduced my land line to the basic minimum - Toll-free and local calls outgoing plus 911, and of course accepts all calls incoming. My monitored home alarm system uses the 800 number to call the central station if there is an intrusion or fire so I need it for that, plus I didn't want to change my home number which has been given out for years & is on my business cards. I initially used MJ when overseas, but it is a pain to carry a telephone along and my T-Mobile cell plus e-mail & text messages are all I need. Magic Jack sucks and is a waste of money.
See above. Terrible service. Difficult to communicate with them.
Total waste of money and time
This is the biggest piece of garbage I have ever used. I can't talk on the phone without getting cut off constantly. I'll be in the middle of a conversation and it just clicks and I get the dial tone. Then it won't allow me to dial out again for several minutes. You don't even get 911 access included. You have to pay an extra fee for that which is utterly ridiculous. Every phone company should include 911 calling. Don't waste your money on Magic Jack. It will only give you a migraine
Drops phone calls constantly No 911 calling included
Magic Jack bigest scam ever
They advertise FREE unlimited calling to the US and Canada and FREE magicJack to magicJack international calling, which it's an absolute lie. I signed for five years service promotional fee, that was 99.99, when the bill came in CAN dollars, was $187.90 they said they where not using the banking rate exchange and they have to charge me the exchange that was based on their calculations. I tried to cancel but they said I only would be refunded 17.00can because penalties for the cancelation. So I didn't have a choice and I had to keep the service. A month later, all a the sudden I stop receiving phone calls, I tried to fix the problem from my MJ online account but didn't worked. I tried to keep using the service just making outgoing calls and every often the calls where interrupted by recordings reminding to check my account or simply interrupted my phone calls. I contacted customer service which they said they where unable to fix the problem and they where unable to tell me the reason why my account was in hold. It took me few weeks calling every day and trying to contact someone to help me, but they told me that they where not even in the American continent to attend my concern. They said that they where in a place which they where no allowed to tell me, but they said they will pass my report. Couple of weeks later the problem became obsessively annoying interrupting my outgoing phone calls. I was unable to find help for this problem, so I decided to become rude with these people and they transferred to a supposed responsible. I was on my only account while I was speaking with this woman and she said hold on in the phone and she just cancelled all applications, devices and services which I saw the changes instantly on line. She came back to me on the phone and she said that I violate the time allowed on my service. I said that I paid for the five years service and that was advertised as unlimited phone, she said that some where in the 56 pages agreement said that the services isn't unlimited phone calls passing certain period per day. So they took my 187.90 can, they tried to make an other charge for the cancellation which thanks to my bank blocked the charge, they cancelled all my apps, devices and blocked the number I was using to contact them. There's no agency or government service to report this company's scam. I would ever recommend to get this terrible service that may was the must expensive phone service I have ever paid.
The worse scam ever on Phone Internet service. The most disgusting and meaning costumer service. The must abusive lie advertised. The worse experience dealing with a fake company. Unreliable Soon or later consumers will fall into their ambush
Low price tag, so-so quality, international calling expensive if works at all, customer service sucks
If you only need local & north America calling, and can live with constant background humming during calls, magicJack offers a very competitive price tag. But, if you need international call, or fax, or quality calls w/o any annoying background noise, this is not for you. To make international calling, you have to buy pre-paid credits, which will expire in 6 months. Also be aware, its so-called feature of "placing international call from another registered number (not your magicJack #)" doesn't work at all. If you like to solve issues with customer service department, I wish you good luck. For its customer service representatives, at least the ones I dealt with, are simply busy operators reading from scripts to fend off customer inquires. They're not technical people at all, so they're clueless for anything outside of their typical scripts.
noise during calls, expensive international calling with expiration date & some listed feature not working at all, clueless customer service
Beware It NOT all FREE - magicjack
I have 50 mb high speed service and the phone quality is OK, not great. Caller id doesn't really work, it shows the number but never the name associated with it, even when names are listed. I'm also discovering that not all calls are included. just learned that local conference calls numbers are not included. supposedly buried somewhere in the agreement.
you get what you pay for
I use MJ with 3 Wired panasonic phones with 1.0 REN
I have MJ GO, though I suspect I could have hung on to MJ-Plus-2012 which I'd used for 2 years along with DSL, until 2017 when I switched to Optimum Cable, at which time I decided to switch to GO along with Cable. Frankly, MJ-Plus-2012 may have been just as good if not better than GO. (Not that I'm a tech expert, but still..)
...Note I'm rating this 4 stars to balance the 1 star reviews, because both myself and many others need MJ for budget reasons. That said, here are the drawbacks:
(1) The MJ adapter is BAD. Everyone agrees on that. Unfortunately, if you wish to keep several spares handy, it's getting harder and harder to find affordable good-quality single-USB adapters these days.
(2) Customer support is WORSE THAN BAD. For example, a chat agent had erroneously removed my MJ phone number from the Account dropdown during a Remote session when attempting to scout out issues. That entailed hours of hassle with a subsequent chat-agent, and agonizing whether it would indeed get successfully reinstated. Somewhat like roulette. Yet another chat-agent set my router wrong, which I suspected, and therefore I asked the next agent to check it out. Sure enough, my suspcions had proved correct, as confirmed by the latter agent. ALWAYS be vigilant with them, because after countless hours I endured with zillions of their agents, i've found maybe one-percent to be somewhat knowledgeable. And that goes even for one of the agents empowered to make outbound calls! Though granted, one or two of them was pretty smart, and likewise re: the Level-3 agents. May-2017 Update: Today, yet another MJ agent (a senior one whom i asked to be summoned) was horrific. As usual, it dragged out HOURS. She couldn't offer clear basic instructions for a basic procedure (setting up prepaid international) wherein all the textboxes and info are VERY unclear. I kept requesting she type the precise steps I need to do. I even gave her MY OWN EXAMPLES of how to convey clear instructions. But despite my efforts, she responded with generalities, as a three-year old might do. So there's practically no diff. between junior or senior agents!!! For example, when I asked "do i need to click the button near my name & ship-address even though Prepaid-minutes aren't being shipped to me" she responded "please click the button near your name it bill bring you the billing info". That was NOT true. All it did was color-in the button! A mature person would have actually answered to the point, as well as providing an ACCURATE response as follows: Click the button which says CONTINUE-TO-BILLING-INFO. But that's only a drop in the bucket. You need to see their moronic interface. You also needed to be here to understand the DRAGGED-OUT-WAIT-TIMES until the NonSupport agents get around to responding to nearly EVERYTHING. Whichever careless creature(s) are responsible for programming their entire procedure and designing their web pages ought to be prosecuted by all of us for our premature white hair. Literally.
(3) I need to occasionally reset the device by unplugging it - due to disconnects coupled with error messages such as "Error 23". Thus, the GO model is no different than MJ-Plus-2012 in that respect, despite their touting GO as the most superior of all. (more like marketing hype) The error-message happened today when my computer was on, so maybe it's less likely to happen when my computer is turned off.
(4) Will not operate with Linux, or so i'm told.
(5) Inaccurate instructions - such as stating that it will work with a splitter. That was NOT the case with me.
(6) yet more inaccurate instructions - by not advising people (and the MJ chat-agents) that with DSL, you don't need an "official" router, but rather you can use a simple cheap Switch which can be programmed by your ISP as a router a/k/a "gateway"
(7) MJ chat-agents never told to advise people that when switching from DSL to Cable (or from one ISP to another??) you need to make sure that your DSL line is totally disconnected at point of entry. Otherwise, there will be interference, and incoming phone calls will not work properly if at all.
(8) For those EMF-sensitives who prefer wired-phones: The MJ chat-agents fail to advise people that YOU CAN OFTEN have up to THREE house phones connected to the MJ line. Here's how I did it: I have three 1980s phones, each with a REN value of 1.0. I turned my bedroom ringer OFF. The kitchen ringer is OFF too. The computer-room ringer is HIGH. By doing these steps, it enabled my answering machine recording to kick in after 5 rings, instead of after many rings (or not kicking in at all). I also UNPLUG my fax-phone except when I need to use it.
MJ provides affordability for those like me on a very tight budget, and hey, it actually works, with occasional disconnects. That is - once the hassle of set-up is over, during which your hair may literally turn white, and your fingers develop arthritis. That literally happened to me, due to endless typing on the horrific Chat.App with NonSupport agents.
See my review for itemized Cons, and there are more all over the web.
Majic Jack Creepy
Since my boyfriend and I began using Majic Jack we have been hearing conversations of other from our phone, Loud porno type music once we start dialing, and calls dropping and when the phone is still to your ear you can hear ringing as if your calling someone but your not. I don't know if someones listening into phone calls, if it's just shitty service, or what is going on. But being a crime journalist I need privacy during my phone calls and I feel like someone is listening into my calls. I'm dropping the service and I do NOT recommend the service to my worst enemy.
Creepy music and hearing conversations of other people from my phone
Magic Jack SUCKS
Magic Jack ---SUCKS…They flat out lied about calling anywhere in the USA. I can’t call in to a USA conference number set up by another person, I MUST set up the call and go through the MJ conference number….I specifically asked about this and of course they said no problem…”you can call any number in the USA”. It gets worse…They were NOT to port my existing phone number to Magic Jack and they did. It has been well over a week and I still DO NOT HAVE MY NUMBER BACK. Missed every one of my customer calls and I lost revenue. No one at Magic Jack was helpful nor do they seem to care. I was on hold for 45 minutes, disconnected, transferred and had to repeat my issue all over again (at least 7 times). I was told different things every time I spoke to someone different, they don’t speak English, they don’t understand English. They are just F’ing STUPID AND THEY SUCK.
READ THE REVIEW
The worst customer service
After waiting on line for 80 minutes (even though it said 35) for 2nd tier support I was booted at the last second. Chatted back at level 1 (also painfully slow) and they threw me to bottom of queue again for tier 2 even though I saw they were putting folks ahead of me as my queue number kept rising. I just wasn't willing to wait for another 2 hours for assistance with a firmware upgrade that only they can do. This is the worst customer service I have experienced in ages. They just don't care. Bye bye. You lost another potential customer.
None. Couldn't even get out of the starting gate.
Bad customer service.
Magic Jack Works for Me
I have used Magic Jack since 2013 and currently have two magic jack devices providing phone and fax service to my residence-one device is a magic plus and the other is a magic jack GO. I have had no problems with either device. Reliability of magic jack depends on the quality of your internet service, I currently use the magic jack app that allows calls on one of my lines to rollover to my cell phone- Works like a charm. I am very satisfied with the magic jack devices. Reduced my monthly phone bill for 2 lines from $100 per month to $7 per month. Let me make a suggestion for anyone contemplating using a magic jack and you are unsure about the quality of their service or the quality of you internet service. Purchase the Magic Jack GO, now selling for $35.00 and provides a year of service. Install the magic jack and use a telephone number provided by magic jack. Do not cancel your telephone service from your local provider. Begin using the magic jack to make calls and have your friends begin calling you on the magic jack number- Remember that you still have your regular telephone service that you can still use. If you are satisfied with the quality of the calls from Magic Jack after one month, have Magic Jack port your home phone number to the magic jack device and cancel you present phone service. Magic Jack will charge +/- $10 to port your phone number over to magic jack. This is a one time charge. This is the process I used because I read so many negative reviews about Magic Jack, but the quality of my calls and reliability have been excellent with Magic Jack.;
Calls are clear. Reduced my phone bill from $100 to $7 per month for two lines. Magic Jack can be used for faxing.
A magicJack is a small device that allows you to make Internet phone calls for cheap prices.
As of 2016, magicJack Express costs $39.95 plus shipping and handling. You get 3 months of free unlimited calling to the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. Additional years cost $35.
How does magicJack work?
One of magicJack's top selling points is its ease of installation.
Plug your phone into the magicJack
Plug the magicJack into your computer
Start making calls
Is there a special magicJack phone?
Nope! The magicJack device is what's known in the industry as an analog telephone adapter (ATA). You won't need a special phone in order to use magicJack.
What do you think of magicJack?
Many users have had a variety of issues with magicJack (as evidenced by the reviews). However, here are a couple of advantages of magicJack:
1. Lowest Monthly Rates
Setting aside the fact that the first 6 months of phone service with magicJack are absolutely free, monthly rates are available for as little as $3.00 per month. Prices like that are extremely hard to complain about, and even some of our most scathing magicJack reviews still rate magicJack with 5 stars in the price category.
2. Cheap Equipment
Any way you slice it, $39.95 is a great price to pay for the complete setup of a VoIP phone service that uses your existing phones. Other VoIP companies require specialized IP phones that can cost over $100, and an ATA adapter alone is often more than $50.
Even if the device runs into a problem and needs to be replaced, the low cost takes most of the sting out of a new purchase. In fact, with the money you'll save with magicJack's low monthly rate, the device practically pays for itself.
3. Easy to Use
MagicJack is designed for people who have never heard of VoIP in the first place, and want a simple plug-and-play device that works right away. That's exactly what magicJack offers, and the new magicJack PLUS offers even more options. The old device required a constant connection to a computer to work, but the new one only needs to do so once to register. After that, just plug it into the wall and feel free to shut the computer off. The video below outlines how to use magicJack without a computer.
Previously the magicJack software was been reported by some as very difficult to remove. MagicJack software now comes with an easier to access uninstall option, so this point is no longer valid.
MagicJack Customer Service
Unfortunately, magicJack does not have a customer service hotline. That means that the only way to resolve a service issue is through a high-traffic chat room, which occasionally has a slow response time as a result. Fortunately, the device is easy to install, so you'll likely never need the support. If you run into trouble, our best advice is to be patient with the chat, and see if the issue lies with your router configuration or Internet speed in the meantime.
If everything checks out and the chat system seems frustrating, just try doing something else for a while and wait for the chat system to get back to you. You can watch one of the many fan-made YouTube videos for magicJack support, try one of the links below to see if your issue is answered there, or even take care of checking your email while you wait. Sometimes, the best option is to simply wait a few hours for the peak traffic to die down, so that the support team has more time to dedicate to your needs. Either way, spending an hour or two researching and fixing any issues with the magicJack adapter is definitely worth the amount of money that you're saving with .
Third-party magicJack Support
There are also some helpful blogs out there on the web that cover how to use magicJack if you still encounter trouble.
In the end, and despite the issues that customers raise about magicJack service, we feel that magicJack offers a very low priced Residential VoIP service, especially for someone new to VoIP. However, there are a lot of negative customer reviews you should take into consideration. The extremely low monthly rate for unlimited phone calls is impossible to ignore, and the ease of installation further makes the case that magicJack's barebones VoIP service is one of the best in the industry.!
Don't take our word for it. We've got over 100 magicJack reviews for real magicJack customers. See what magicJack users have to say.
If you have used magicJack, here's you should do: Write a review. We could use your voice on our website.
Have something to say? Leave a comment about magicJack.
Have you used magicJack's service? Write a review. You can help other prospective customers make a good decision.