With VoIP companies offering more and more irresistibly low rates, you may be wondering why everybody and their mother haven’t jumped on the VoIP bandwagon yet. One reason is that not everyone is well-informed about VoIP. Another reason is that there have been a lot of negative feedback on VoIP companies.
People are talking about fly-by-night VoIP companies, or those that provide great service for just the first few weeks. A more common complaint nowadays is that some VoIP companies are charging the credit cards of customers who have discontinued their subscriptions. When customers try to dispute the issue, the phone number on the bank’s records direct them to a different company. Customers are left making futile attempts to call the VoIP provider.
The important thing to note here is that these problems are only with some providers. There are a lot of VoIP providers that give excellent service. Here are some ways you can safeguard yourself from falling into the hands of fraudulent VoIP companies:
- Read user reviews: There are a lot of websites out there that allow actual users to review VoIP providers. VoIPreview.org has tons of reviews and ratings on different VoIP providers. These reviews and ratings can help you sift through the many providers available out there. Customers who have something to complain about usually go out of their way to post their comments to help others avoid making a mistake.
- Use the Internet: Another way to do research about a VoIP provider is to Google it (or whichever search engine you use). One useful tip is to put the words ‘complaints’ or ‘scam’ next to the company’s name when you search for it. If the first few results you see are of people reporting scams and fraudulent charges, then it is best to stay away from that provider.
- Make a call: The most common complaint from customers is that they can never reach their provider. Make sure that the provider’s company website has a phone number, and take it a step further and actually call the company. See if you can also reach their technical support number. These are good signs that the provider is reliable.
- Talk to them: Okay, so you’ve narrowed it down to just a couple of providers. Now it’s time to get detailed information. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and be sure the charges and rates are clear. You can’t just sign away and complain later of hidden charges or unclear charging.
- Take advantage of free trials: When in doubt about how well VoIP will work with you, take advantage of free trials offered by many providers.
There are bound to be some bad apples in every industry. But don’t let some bad apples ruin the real benefits the good ones can give you. The key is to do your research. I guarantee it will be worth the time and effort once you start saving hundreds of dollars on your phone bill with VoIP.